Browsing Category

K-1 visa

Adjustment of Status, Children, Family Immigration, K-1 visa, K-2 visa

Green Cards for fiancee and her children

I am a US Citizen and would like to sponsor a green card for my fiancee. She has a 6-year-old child she adopted herself, and an 8-year old child who has a biological father in her home country. Can she bring her children to the US with her?

Yes, it might be possible. To begin, each child has a special requirement you need to be aware of:

  • Child 1: Adopted children need to be in custody of the adoptive parent, and need to have resided with the adopted parent for 2 years to be considered a “child” for immigration purposes. These 2 years or residing with the parent can happen before the child is adopted. You would need to show proof of the residency, so check to see if your fiancee has a court order or document showing the dates of custody.
  •  Child 2: many countries logically have special requirements to prevent children from being taken out of the country agains a biological parent’s wishes. You may need the biological father’s written notarized statement allowing his children to obtain a US visa and leave the home country. Check your country’s US Embassy page to see specifically what the embassy needs before allowing the children to travel.  Be careful – while some countries do not specifically list this requirement for a US visa, the process to obtain a child’s passport may require consent of both biological parents. Make sure to consult with the child’s biological parent to make sure all parties consent to the children traveling to the US.

If you’re able to satisfy each child’s special requirements, you can move forward with helping your fiancee and the children come to the US! Generally, there are two paths you could follow to get started (I discussed them in more detail here, and an attorney could discuss additional options depending on your particular circumstance.) Here is an overview of costs/timelines related to the 2 children of your fiancee:

Path A: You marry your fiancee anywhere in the world, and then petition for her, as your new wife to be a US Permanent Resident. You would also file petitions for the children at the same time. They would both be considered your step-children, and a step-child is considered a “child” for immigration purposes as long as “the child was under 18 when the step-relationship was created.” This means you would pay the $420 filing fee 3 times. Processing would take anywhere between 6 months to 1 year, and then all 3 would have a visa interview with the US embassy. There would be additional fees with the Embassy for all 3 people. If all went smoothly, all could then come to the US and would receive green cards.

Path B: You will begin by filing a K-1 visa petition for your fiancee, which takes around 4 – 9 months to be determined and would cost $340. Her children are able to be listed on her application because they are under 21 and unmarried, so there is only 1 fee to pay. They will attend her visa interview along with her (paying Embassy fees again for all 3 people), and if all goes well — travel with her to the US in K-2 status. Next, you would marry within 90 days, and then your new wife and both children would apply for an adjustment of status. This would require a large petition, showing proof of the marriage and of each family member’s relationship. There would be a separate petition for your wife and each child, and 3 government processing fees of $1070. 

This is a general overview of the process. Speak with an attorney so that you can describe your situation in detail to make sure no other complications would arise. Best Wishes!

Adjustment of Status, B Visitor Visa, Family Immigration, K-1 visa

I am a US Citizen and want to marry my Canadian boyfriend. How can I get him to live in the US with me?

Q: I am a US Citizen and want to marry my Canadian boyfriend. How can I get him to live in the US with me?

A: Yes, you have a couple options . . .

-1- You could apply for a K-1 fiancé visa for your boyfriend. This would let him enter the US for 90 days and you would get married during this time. After you married, you spouse could stay in the US apply to adjust status to a permanent resident (aka get a green card!) For this path, you would start by filing an I-129f. This would be processed with USCIS, and then would be sent to NVC, and eventually to the US Embassy in Canada. It could take around 4-9 months.


-2- Another path is to marry your boyfriend overseas, and then after you’re married, you would file an i-130 to sponsor him as your spouse. In this scenario, he would wait in Canada for the I-130 to be approved, and then would enter the US and be able to immediately obtain a green card. This second process might cause a little longer wait in Canada, but it would have less filing fees.


An attorney could help you write out the options and organize all of the costs and timelines for you. Also, a word of caution: your boyfriend cannot obtain a B visitors visa if his intent is to come to the US, marry you, and remain in the US to adjust status.

Family Immigration, K-1 visa

Can I sponsor my fiancee for a K-1 visa if she does not have a birth certificate?

I’m a U.S. citizen who plans to sponsor my fiancee, a Canadian citizen, for a K-1 Visa. She does not have a birth certificate. Will this pose a problem during the process?

When you begin the process and file the I-129f, the foreign national’s birth certificate is not required. A list of documents needed is found in theI-129f instructions . However, if the K1 is approved, at her visa appointment in Canada, she may need the birth certificate as proof of Canadian citizenship. Also, she would definitely need to submit a copy after she enters the US, marries you, and applies for an adjustment of status using the I-485. Look on the country reciprocity page to find exactly what type of document she needs to show birth in Canada.