Browsing Category


Children, Citizenship/Naturalization, Naturalization, Passport

What are the steps for my child to become a US Citizen?

Q: My 5-year-old son and I have been in the US as permanent residents and I recently married a US Citizen. My new US Citizen wife has adopted my son. What steps do we need to follow to get my son US Citizenship? Can he naturalize more quickly now that he has been adopted by a US Citizen? 

A: Congratulations on your recent marriage! Your child has a couple options, but none of the options will allow him to immediately become a US Citizen (USC). The process will involve simply applying for a US Passport for him. He does not likely need to go through the naturalization process.

There are 2 paths your son could follow to become a USC:

Continue Reading