Browsing Category

Travel Document

Family Immigration, Naturalization, Travel Document

Travel while N-400 naturalization application is pending

Can I travel abroad while my N-400 naturalization application is pending?

Travel outside of the U.S. is generally acceptable while a naturalization application is pending. Leaving the U.S. does not trigger abandonment of the N-400 and your application will continue processing during your travels. However, there are a few implications to consider before you book your trip:

Continue Reading

DACA, Travel Document

Can a DACA recipient travel outside of the US?

Yes, DACA recipients in the US are eligible to apply for Advance Parole (AP) which allows you to travel outside the US and return. Keep in mind that travel must be for a certain reason: educational, employment, or humanitarian purposes. If you’re unsure, an attorney could help you determine if your situation fits within these purposes. Also, be cautious and think carefully about the decision to travel. Although AP is allowed for DACA recipients, the US Port of Entry still has discretion to allow or not allow you to return. US CBP provides common reasons on their website of why a person could be denied entry to the US.

Refugee, Travel Document

How long does it take to get a Refugee Travel Document?

Question: How long does it take to get a US Refugee Travel Document? I am planning on traveling outside the country around October or November.

Our Seattle clients have been waiting close to 4 months recently. The Phoenix lockbox seems slow these days. For certain reasons, you can expedite your travel application (severe financial loss, extreme emergent situation, humanitarian situation) If you think you meet one of these reasons you could put in a request to expedite with USCIS. The request to expedite takes about a week, and then USCIS asks for your proof and reviews it. An attorney could help determine if you have a strong case for expediting, and could help you with the process.